Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday open mat (4/19/09)


Revolution BJJ

Open mat at my gym has been a staple on Sundays for a couple years now. I go if I'm in town as a general rule. The man in charge is my older brother from another mother (and father), Vince Newton. Vince might be the coolest guy on the planet. He's 47 years old, a hippie, a father of 3, and my first purple belt. Vince is the last person on the mats nearly every class.

Today, I kept the rounds going at 6 minutes for the folks getting ready to compete. We did 8 or 9 rounds, took a water break, then came back for more. It was pretty laid back training, but it was constant. Blue belts Parker and Snake, and white belt Lo (all getting ready for the worlds) were there, along with blue belt Bryan Moore (does my school's site), Dax (from the downtown school), Lenny "Lendo" Greenberg, and Rebekah Carrow. Jarrod (he's brought the P.A. for U.S. Grappling events in Richmond, and apparently I introduced him to grappling many years ago at the judo club at VCU) came in to roll along with a guy named Ian, who was trying jiu jitsu for the first time. I worked with Ian a bit one on one, explaining the concepts of jiu jitsu, and having a little fun rolling.

All told, it was about 3 hours of good, solid rolling, mostly with the gi, but no-gi at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment